Amgueddfa Cymru - Museum Wales
Amgueddfa Cymru - Museum Wales belongs to everyone and is here for everyone to use. As a charity and a family of seven national museums and a collections center located across the country, Amgueddfa Cymru’s aim is to inspire everyone through Wales’ story, at their museums, in communities and digitally.
Amgueddfa Cymru looks after Wales' national collection, which includes over 5 million objects spanning across the science, history, and culture of Wales and beyond.
But Amgueddfa Cymru is more that its buildings. Its sites offer free entry and are vital community spaces that reach far beyond their location on a map. Amgueddfa Cymru's aim is to inspire everyone it reaches through Wales' story and recognises that everyone has something to contribute through its museums, collections and the work they do.
The museums making up Amgueddfa Cymru are:
- National Museum Cardiff
- St Fagans National Museum of History
- Big Pit National Coal Museum
- National Wool Museum
- National Roman Legion Museum
- National Slate Museum
- National Waterfront Museum
With support from players of People's Postcode Lottery, Amgueddfa Cymru is able to create programmes of deeper, broader and more lasting impact that will make a difference to the people of Wales and beyond.
Amgueddfa Cymru aims for its staff and volunteers to be increasingly more present in every region of Wales, working with community partners, local museums and galleries, universities, local authorities and third-sector organisations across the nation through:
- programmes with schools, communities and volunteers
- exhibitions that celebrate people’s stories in Wales
- online events, activities, festivals and resources
- research that protects the environment and reflects people’s creativity and life experiences.